Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Ultimate Sale

I was going to try and post in chronological order, but I can't wait for this post any longer. We've all heard about the "secret" sample sales in New York City, that you have to know someone who knows someone to get in. Well, after yesterday and today, feel confident saying that I know those someones!
I went to a Donna Karan Sample sale today on my lunch break! It wasn't just any sample sale, it was a vintage sample sale. Not only was it a vintage sample sale, but it was a Vintage Donna Karan Collection Sample Sale. For those of you who don't know. the Donna Karan company has many divisions, all for different target markets. Donna Karan Collection just happens to be the highest priced division (the bridge division), this is runway stuff!
Walking into my first sample sale was exciting and nerve racking. Riding up the elevator to the 15th floor is when you get the most anxious. I had no idea what to expect. First of all the elevator is packed and it's obvious we're all going to the same floor. All I could picture was the scene from Confessions of a Shopoholic, with girls running everywhere fighting to the death for that valuable handbag. Luckily, it was closed off to employees (you need a pass to get up the elevator), so that calmed my nerves a little. However, walking in proved to me that that made no difference. There were racks everywhere, and you really had to dig to find stuff worth your while. On an intern's 20 min lunch break, this can be stressful. But, I was trained well in the art of shopping by my professional shopping mother.
In the end, my purchases totaled about $100. I think it's safe to say that the retail total would be between $5000 and $7000. Purchase of the day: Metallic leather purse, retailed between $1200 and $1500. I bought it for $30.

No comments:

Post a Comment