Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hidden Chaos






I helped with dressing models/backstage maintenance at the Ports 1961 show on Wednesday. I learned that Fashion Week has a lot of hidden chaos! 32 models changed in a tiny room, with a temperature of approx 70 degrees. The models definitely block out that people are changing them. Otherwise it could get awkward. One of my jobs was to make sure that there was two inches between the knee and the top of the sock on each girl. At first, I would ask them if I could fix their socks. But, eventually everything got so last minute, I would just bend down and fix all the socks whenever a model walked by me. Things like safety pinning and lint rolling are done literally the second before the model walks out onto the runway. I was the one who had to sprint up two flights of stairs to find a lint roller. When you think about it, is it really going to make a difference that the model is lint rolled 5 times opposed to 6? Well, maybe. These shows determine the success of the upcoming year (maybe more) of the designer/company. It was an interesting experience. I've always loved behind the scenes stuff.

I really like the details of the Ports show. The black and gold fishnet socks and the pinky leather glove pulled everything together.


All photos are taken from style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment